Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Paleo Pumpkin Pie


Truth be told I love Thanksgiving because of the pie.  Specifically, pumpkin pie.  It's what I look forward to eating the most.  In the past I've enjoyed traditional pie crust (full of gluten) and traditional filling (way too much refined sugar) but not anymore.  Now with our almost all Paleo lifestyle (yes, we cheat a little) I had to find a recipe for Pumpkin Pie because NOT having it was NOT an option.  The Pumpkin Pie I made was adapted from recipes found here & here.  The pie was super simple to make and tasted delicious.

For the crust:

Pre-heat oven to 350 & get out your food processor.

Ingredients:

2 cups Almond Meal/Flour
1/4 t sea salt
2T Coconut Oil
1T Ghee
1 egg

In the food processor pulse almond flour and sea salt.  Add coconut oil, ghee & egg until mixture forms a ball. Press into 9" pie pan.  Bake for 10 minutes.








For the filling:

1 14oz. can Organic pureed pumpkin
2 eggs
1/2 cup Coconut milk (the fatty kind from a can)
1/2 cup Organic Maple syrup
2 t cinnamon
1/4 t cloves
1/4 t ginger

combine all ingredients and blend for 2 minutes.



Pour filling into pie crust and bake for an additional 60-65 minutes.  I didn't cover my crust with foil because I don't mind a crispy crust. If that's not your cup of tea then cover the edges with foil now before putting back into the oven.




Looks just like good ole' Pumpkin Pie, right?  Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment