Monday, August 27, 2012

Cabo Wabo

Well, we survived our first vacation since our babies were born but it was quite an adventure.

First of all, this little excursion almost didn't happen. My passport arrived THE DAY BEFORE WE LEFT! Ahh.  Nothing like cutting it close.  I literally called the Department of State 4-5 times a day for an update for 10 days straight.  Their response? "We have your travel dates ma'am, we'll do our best to accommodate them."  What?!? 

Cabo San Lucas is at the very tip of the Baja Peninsula where the Sea of Cortez meets the Pacific Ocean.  It's basically a desert until you get to the beach.  The weather is beautiful year round and it rarely, rarely rains.  In fact, up until the two days before we traveled it had not rained for OVER A YEAR!  So what happens when a desert gets over 10 inches of rain in 36 hours?  Massive, terrible flooding.  That picture above is the only road to and from our resort and as you can see there is a river about 3 feet deep running through it. Awesome!  No one would risk driving through it and I don't really blame them.  Thats an eighteen wheeler stuck in the middle of it.

 We enjoyed some margaritas in the neighboring resort (they were so very hospitable) while we came up with a game plan as to how to get across.  The only answer was to get to higher ground.  We saw some locals heading back to the highway so we started following them.  We figured they must know what they're doing, right? With luggage in tow we crossed a narrow pedestrian bridge and made our way down some rocky terrain to the other side of the "river"; crossed through a barb wire fence, as you can see Ben was not leaving his margarita behind, and paralleled the water until we successfully made it to the entrance of the resort.  At this point a van picked us up and drove us the rest of the way.  What a way to start a vacation.

This is what we woke up to the next morning!  Amazing.  The beach was pretty gross because of all the run off but they had it beautiful again with in 24 hours.

And this is what we stared at for 4 days.  It was great!

Sun kissed and relaxed

We took a glass bottom boat over to the infamous "arch".  It dropped us off at Lovers Beach for about an hour but not before a close up encounter with some seals. It was pretty cool. After we got picked up Rogelio (our captain aboard his boat "the Roger") took us to Pelican Rock for another adventure.  Pelican Rock is right off the coast and juts about 35 feet in the air.  The water around it is 80 feet deep and a short distance away drops to 300 feet deep.  Rogelio said climb up and jump off.  Seriously?  Ben was the first one off the boat.  Dove right in, climbed straight to the top and jumped.  My sister and brother in law (pictured above) were not far behind.  I jumped off the boat and was perfectly content just floating in the ocean and watching.  Let me back up and mention that there were a ton of people snorkeling right here so I felt pretty safe that nothing was going to swim up from the depths and get me.

Ben and Bryce with an early morning catch, Mahi Mahi. That same afternoon they ran across a pod of dolphins that stirred up the Yellowfin Ahi Tuna, mmmm.  Even though we were in Mexico, we didn't eat traditional Mexican food the entire time we were there.  We ate fresh caught fish every night!  It was amazing.  Many local restaurants have no problem preparing your fish any way you want it for just a plating fee.  

 This is one up my favorite pictures from the trip. My mom, my sister and I!  Such a fun vacation, Thanks Mom and Jim!


No comments:

Post a Comment